It’s the end of the year, and what a year it’s been!
From mental institutions to long-lost siblings, taxi drivers to sugar daddies, we’ve had stories ranging from the outlandish, to the tragic, to the heartwarming.
Here are our top 12 most widely-read stories of 2019:
1. I Explored Tanjung Rambutan’s Mental Asylum – Here’s What It’s Really Like
Tanjung Rambutan is Malaysia’s oldest mental health institution — but is it really full of crazy people?
2. The Story of a Young Immigrant Housewife in Malaysia
She was brought to Malaysia when she was pregnant with her first child. That’s when the horror began.
3. I Was Betrayed and Assaulted by a Male Friend One Night. Here’s What I Wish People Didn’t Say to Me After
Irene was violated by someone she knew. But it was the things her friends said which caused even more distress than the attack itself.
4. I Spent a Month Using Sugar Daddy Apps, and This Is What I Learned
Being a sugar baby was a lot more than just being someone’s arm candy, as Julia learnt from this experience.
5. I Cut Off My Toxic Girl Friends & Here’s Why I Am Happier Now
Nicki believed her female friendships were inseparable — but later she realised they are about as fragile as a wet piece of single-ply toilet paper.
6. Malaysian Job Interviews: Are You Making These 4 Mistakes? (Advice from a HR officer)
What are the most common mistakes Malaysian job seekers make? The answers may surprise you!
7. The Racism I Experienced Dating In Malaysia
Microaggressions, colourism, and ‘harmless’ racist jokes — these are among the invisible forms of racism that exist in Malaysia.
8. My Daughter Was Taught by Her Mother to Hate Me – Here’s My Story
When his estranged wife left with their daughter, Dinesh began suffering from a syndrome called ‘parental alienation’.
9. My Sister And I Were Separated For Almost 3 Decades. This Is How We Reconnected
Reconnecting with a sister you haven’t seen in almost 30 years can be awkward, but for Clement, it was his second chance to be a big brother.
10. From the Horse’s Mouth – How the New E-hailing Rules will Impact Drivers in Malaysia
Malaysia’s e-hailing laws tightened up regulations in June 2019. For Alfred, a part-time e-hailing driver, it was a sign of the beginning of the end.
11. I Became the Second Wife, After the First Wife Proposed to Me
The story of how Mia, a no-nonsense lawyer, decided to become the second wife at the pleading of her friend, the first wife.
12. It Took A Lot For Me To Leave The Education Industry. Here Is My Story
For Shelby, it took a dismissal letter, a labour court case, psychological harassment, hurtful remarks and intimidation to make her leave the education industry altogether.
More from Real People
When I first received the news, I couldn't believe what was going on. Yet there it was, my biopsy results …
As someone with ADHD, my teachers disciplined me for being unruly and easily distracted. But with the help of my …
Every time Ramadan comes around, I get mistaken for being a Malay. “What’s the big deal?” I hear you say. …